Sunday, October 23, 2011

Facebook Law Update

Back in August I wrote about a law that was passed in Missouri that would ban any kind of social media relationship between teachers and students. The law was very grey and left a lot to be desired. The law originated from worried parents that watched teacher after teacher show up on the news for having an inappropriate relationship with a student. I still stand by what I said then "I think that if parents know what their kids are doing online, it isn't a problem."

The law was eventually over turned by the Governor of Missouri due to the fact that the teachers were screaming about their first amendment rights. They were also complaining about how the law would interfere with the learning process. Some kids are very shy in class and won't ask questions because of it. Some kids find their voice on social media because they can hide their face. More and more kids are using the internet for their homework and, by association, Facebook. Sometimes it is just easier to send a Facebook message than an email.

I am personally glad that this law was thrown out just because I know when I was in college I was friends with my professors. They helped me out online as well as gave me advice. This is not the last of the very long line of laws having to do with social media, and I am sure that other states will begin to TRY to limit its usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment