Sunday, October 16, 2011

Social Media and Dating Sites

I know I don't really get into my personal life on this blog, but I have to tell you a story before I arrive at my point. I just moved to Orlando and I wanted to meet some new people so I joined an online dating site. I felt like such a loser, but in today's society this isn't such a bad thing! More people are turning to these sites to meet people/date because we are so obsessed with working. I work at Walt Disney World in the Magic Kingdom and I work a LOT!!! Most of the people that I work with are really nice, but when you get them out of costume and on their own terms it normally ends badly for me. The online dating site has allowed me to meet new people and talk to them on my own terms. I have the app on my phone, so I don't necessarily have to give out my number, and I have used a fake name just so people don't end up stalking me. If you are smart about it, its actually a really good outlet. You are looking for people that are looking for people so you don't have to creep people on Facebook and Twitter where all you might see is their face.

These sites allow you to put up a short blurb about yourself and some pictures so that you can see a little bit into the person before you waste your time on them. This is a really good concept. Not so much from the business marketing perspective, but from the personal marketing angle. You have to make yourself look really good because if you don't put your best foot forward, people aren't going to talk to you. I feel like this is the same concept in an interview. You want to appear to be the best candidate in less than an hour, and for some people, this can be difficult.

A lot can be learned from theses sites, apart from just getting a date, and as a social networking platform they are doing it right. It isn't private, which allows for the maximum amount of views to get your name out there. If you aren't on one but you've wondered about joining one, I would personally recommend them. They are a great tool that a ton of people are using.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about dating sites like this. I didn't feel very strong towards these sites but after reading your posts I have a new perspective of them. If I moved somewhere that I didn't really know anyone then I would most likely join a site like this also. I think that the themes that emerge sites can be applied to the business marketing perspective because it's similar to attracting a certain audience to a brand or product. You only have a small amount of time and most likely only one shot so it's important to get it right. I think it would be smart for anyone considering marketing to consider the way these sites work.

    ReplyDelete