Monday, August 15, 2011

Facebook Law?

Now that you all have read my view on social media laws, I will talk about this new law in Missouri that bans social media relationships between teachers and students. The law is supposed to ban communication that cannot be accessed by school officials or parents, and must be adopted in all school districts by 2012. This law is kind of vague. First, they use the term "inappropriate" without actually defining what that means in the law. Then, they don't make it clear if this law applies to colleges. The law makers also do not answer the question of "What if a student befriends a teacher in a different school district?" or "Can you add your teacher as a friend after you graduate?" With a 35 page law, you would think some of these questions would have been answered.


How do I feel about this law? I think that if parents know what their kids are doing online, it isn't a problem. I think it is terrible how the lawmakers think all teachers are potential cyber bullies or pedophiles. Next, they may do away with the entire school system. Just kidding, but I think this law is bogus! How are the school officials going to enforce this? If you know what privacy settings to set on Facebook, you can hide a lot from people. Does it say in the law that if you are a teacher you have to give up the right of privacy online? That's a little extreme!

Do I think this will catch on? Probably not! It isn't feasible. The very idea of someone sitting around and creeping on the teachers to make sure they aren't creeping on the students is just weird!! What if the student needed something? People rarely use email, instead, they just send a Facebook message. In addition, I am friends with many professors. They help me with jobs and school. Facebook is the modern day address and phone book that my generation does not know how to live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment