Friday, November 12, 2010

November 17th is National UnFriend Day on Facebook

"Jimmy Kimmel calls for National UnFriend Day" CNN
Jimmy Kimmel has a late night talk show called Jimmy Kimmel Live where he talks about things going on in the world and he puts his point of view on things. On Wednesday the 10th Jimmy Kimmel declared that November 17th is going to be National UnFriend Day on Facebook. Kimmel believes that Facebook is "cheapening the meaning of friendship" (CNN). I have to say that I agree with him. It feels like everytime I am on Facebook I have yet another friend request. Yes, I do add people from class that I talk to, but I really do not talk to them outside of class and then I forget to delete them after the semester is over. I know I am not the only one that does this. I will not, however, add complete strangers that creep on my Facebook and add me as a friend. I also have a very tight control on who can even search me.

I think National UnFriend Day should be targeted towards high-schoolers more than anyone just because I feel like they don't see the problems with adding a complete stranger. I know I am definitely take Jimmy's advice and cut some "friends" that I don't even know anymore. I have been at WKU for three and a half years now and I can guarantee that there are some people I am "friends" with on Facebook that I don't even talk to anymore. Happy National UnFriend Day!!

2 comments:

  1. Don't delete em Laura! I would be sad. Wait until next semester at least.

    I do agree that facebook "friending" has gotten out of control. I go through it every few months and delete some people. But it is nice to go back and check on old friends from high school or college.

    But because many users have hundreds of friends it makes it easier for businesses and applications to gain access to information. For example every time you add an application it requires you to give them access to your friends' info. So I guess it's good for businesses bad for friendships

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Laura. The whole 'let's see how many friends I can get' has and always will be completely ridiculous. I do like the idea of cleaning house on Facebook, but when people post that they are doing it that day it spells out rudeness. Also, isn't there a new application where you can see you has unfriended you?

    ReplyDelete