Sunday, November 21, 2010

I think we are going down the wrong Path

Recently, I've really been getting into twitter. I follow my horoscope, CNN, Mashable, and a few of my friends. I like how this form of social media is kind of like a time line of what I am doing, and I especially like that I can get my news from this source as well. Why am I telling you why I like Twitter? Well, about a week ago Path was launched to compete with Twitter (Mashable). Path is a lot like Twitter in that you can micro-blog about your life, but the major difference is that Path will only allow you to follow 50 friends. They want to stick with the number 50 because of a psychological study that was conducted that proved that a person can handle only 150 relationships. Path wants to a more intimate setting that you can share more personal things with your friends, and they want you to be yourself. In every post you have to have a person, a place and a thing. The example they give in the article is in the picture below:

                      I really like how this is setup to include pictures with your text, but I don't know how they are going to get a lot of members since you can only have 50 friends. The reason Facebook and Twitter are so successful is because they started with a few people and they brought new people, and so on like the snowball effect. Also, this isn't on the internet, you can only access this through your IPhone. What do you think? Do you think this could be the next Twitter?

5 comments:

  1. I blogged about Path this week as well. I think it is a really interesting sounding service that cuts out all the people I just have as facebook friends so as to not hurt their feelings. I do agree that they will probably need a web presence as well but the snowball effect is something I can do without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Path would probably work best for me because, with my facebook I don't accept everyone, even if I do know them. And recently I went throught and deleted people that I know but never talk with on facebook. But with most people I believe that Path wouldn't work for them since they're only allowed 50 friends. Sometimes I feel that friends compete to see who can get more friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I like the concept of Path. I would be more interested in using this site instead of a main stream micro blogging site, (if I had network of friends using this as well). However, I don't think this will take off like Twitter. With the number of followers limited to 50, businesses will not be able to use Path because they cannot target a large group of people with advertisements. I think businesses and celebrities helped build Twitter because of the public's interest of staying connected with these individuals and companies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is really neat. In a way, it might be kind of cool to only have 50 followers. If you think about it, we all have so many friends on facebook that we arent really "friends" with. Although, I can see it having a hard time becoming popular. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is really cool. I'm not a big twitter fan, but after reading about Path, I might have to get into the world of micro blogging. I like how it will be more intimate and allow you to just have relationships with actual people you are more likely to know.

    ReplyDelete