Sunday, September 19, 2010

University bans social media? What are they thinking?!


In the link above you will find an article about how a Northeastern university is banning social media for a week. They are doing this because they want to teach their students about how much of an impact social media has on their lives. This made me think....."How much do I use social media in my life?" When I thought about the answer to the previous question, I was kind of disgusted with myself.

       

I come to work at the campus library about 3 times a week for about 5 hours a shift. Once I am at work, I sign into my computer and immediately check my Facebook. I then leave it up the ENTIRE time I am at the desk, which is the whole shift. I sit on Facebook for at least 15 hours a week, and this doesn't include the times I check it before class and while I am at home. The real total is probably around 20 hours a week.

I use Facebook for email, seeing what is going on around campus, if I lose my phone I can message someone to call me, I can instant message people, I can play games, I can look at pictures of an event I didn't go to, and the list can go on and on. If college students were forced to get off the social media sites, they would actually have to go outside and figure out what was going on for themselves. I remember when I was younger and I wanted something to do. I had to go outside, go to my friend's house and see what was going on. Now, I feel like today's youth is just getting on Facebook and seeing what is up before they move off the couch.

I would be completely lost and bored without social media in my life, especially Facebook. When I asked one of my friends what would happen if Facebook or any other social media was taken away from her, her response was one of horror. She said that she would be totally disconnected from the world and would not know what was going on or what had gone on in the past. She also brought up the point about not know what other people were doing and where they were in their lives. Why have we become so involved in other people's lives that we need to know what they are doing 24 hours of the day? What happened to privacy?

Now think about how this relates to product pages and marketing. We become so involved in people, is it true that we also become involved with product pages? I know it is for me and other people that I know. I wouldn't know half of what I do about new and existing products if it wasn't for Facebook and other forms of social media. Product pages allow you to learn more about a brand and compare it to other brands. I like how you can like different things and it will suggest new products for you to like. I think this is an amazing marketing tool because if someone likes your competitor you can get them on your page and try to hit them with your competitive advantage. I think since everyone is becoming more involved with social media, its only smart for other companies to create a fan page to get their customers more involved with their brand.


I just hope they don't start their Facebook fan page or Twitter accounts when campus' around the country start having social media blackouts.


5 comments:

  1. Laura, you bring up so many great points. It is ridiculous how much time people spend on Facebook. I will admit that the first thing I do when I turn on my computer is sign on Facebook..and I'm sure I speak for many others. It would be interesting to keep track one day of how many times we sign on. We really do rely on it for so many things. I have noticed that more and more stores and boutiques have started posting pictures of their latest merchandise. It is so convenient yet so sad that we rely on Facebook for things like this instead of actually going to the store and looking ourselves. Facebook is a wonderful marketing tool for companies and it is only getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I actually posted about a different school doing this same thing in Pennsylvania last week. I plan on checking up on how the 'experiment' actually went considering it took place at a technology based university. Those students were required, at the end of the week, to write a reflective paper on how that week influenced their perceptions on social media. You also made a great point about product placement. Because advertising is so convienient and flexible on Facebook, it has become a perfect way to reach your target market. Kind of scary how much we rely on the internet for product purchases--but great in that we can swap ideas, concerns, etc. with other consumers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, I find this post particularly interesting seeing that. I am the type of person that if I am near a computer or have the internet, the first thing im going to do is check my Facebook. Which usually takes up far more time than it should. I wonder though if these universities, saw an increase in productivity with their students study time. Since usually you cant walk into a university library without seeing someone checking out their Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In theory, it makes absolutely no sense why we have to be so tuned in to Facebook and why we find such joy at being voyeurs in other people's lives and commenting on the smallest aspects of their existence. In practice, I too have my Facebook window open pretty much every minute I'm working...I honestly can't remember what I did before Facebook...was I that much more productive? Or did I just waste time in other ways?

    I'm not sure I rely as much on marketing info on Facebook yet...that may be a generational gap difference thing...I'm still a little traditional in where I get info on products...then again, the second I have a question about a movie, restaurant, baby product, etc., I post a question to my wall and wait for people who've done the legwork to fill me in, so that in and of itself is a pretty powerful marketing tool if companies can harness it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What would WKU do without social media for a week?! That would be absolute chaos here on campus. I am one of those kids that checks Facebook and Twitter before my email. It's true, but makes sense considering social media is where I get my news and daily updates. I use it for email and keeping in touch with friends just like you do so I would be lost without it for a week.
    However, I do think it would be interesting to see how empty the computer labs would be. I can't tell you how many times I've had to wait for a computer in Grise because someone was on facebook instead of doing homework. We would definitely be more productive if we did not have these social tools to distract us from what we really should be doing here at WKU. Very good post!

    ReplyDelete