Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving thanks for viral marketing and social media

While I was scrolling through my news feed figuring out what I was going to write about, it hit me! All of the commercials about sales on Black Friday are all over my feed. People sharing the ones they like, and even the ones they find obnoxious. It seems as though Black Friday commercials have taken over the Super Bowl commercial craze. Even one of my friends sent me a link to commercial in my message box because I "just had to see it."

More and more people are relating to commercials on a personal level. Is it because of the reality TV phenomenon? Before reality TV, the only people that you saw were actors. Since major networks have shows that include everyday people, the line between actors and real people is blurred. Even now, if you have a high profile court case, like Casey Anthony, you too can be an overnight celebrity.

In other news, the government is now using Twitter to spread the news about fryer fires (say that 10 times fast). They want people to learn the devastating effects of putting a frozen turkey into hot oil. Now for those of you who don't know why that's a big deal, you should click here to find out why.

The video was posted on YouTube on October, 10th and it has only gotten 5,000 hits. Obviously the government needs a lesson on how to make their videos go viral.

I feel like this video would have had a better shot at more views if Obama had gotten in the mix and they had acted like the White House burned down. Now that would have gotten some more hits! (I wish no ill will on the government or its leader, just suggesting a better video)

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: