Monday, September 12, 2011

Blog etiquette, rules for the real world

Since I am so far away, and I don't really feel like explaining the same story on the phone to 8 different people, I started a blog about my new life in Orlando and working for Disney. Since I am friends with people from work (and my blog is on Facebook), and since Disney would probably shut my blog down if it was bad or negative. I have come up with a few tips to keep your company, friends, and bosses happy with you and your blogging.

  • Some people on the blogosphere do not realize that their blog is public and that some things they write could get you into trouble. People who blog need to mindful of what they are putting on the internet. A good example comes from The Social Network: "The internet's not written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink. And you published that Erica Albright was a bitch, right before you made some ignorant crack about my family's name, my bra size, and then rated women on their hotness." What people say on their personal time is their business, but when you start writing your true, ugly feelings people get hurt.
  • Do not for whatever reason bash your company, your co-workers, your parents or any relationship that you hold dear. Blogs can be searched on Google, Facebook, or any other site, and there are people whose sole job is to search the web and find people bashing the company. If you value what you do, keep your feelings off the web.
  • If you have positive feelings, SHARE THEM!!!! People LOVE to be on the internet in a positive light. It is only appropriate to write about people online if you are praising them for being fabulous, or you get their consent. If you aren't sure if you should name them or not, play it safe! Use a code name or describe how you know them.
  • Finally, keep it classy and PG. I know in my last post I shared how you can block certain posts from certain people. Same concept applies here. If you are going to talk about people, or break any of these guidelines, just be careful, smart, and be willing to deal with the consequences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment