Thursday, June 2, 2011

Challenge accepted!

I know you have heard me talk about other people doing this, but can I do this? 1 week without any form of social media. Tonight, I was talking to a friend of mine who is studying for the GRE. After several time wasting hours on Facebook, she decided to take the plunge and deactivate her Facebook page. When she told me that she did this I was confused! How can you live without social media?! This made me begin to evaluate how many social media sites I use in a normal day.

I wake up and check Facebook and then I roll through my timeline on Twitter. I normally go back to Facebook and play some games, and then if I am bored I get on StumbleUpon and see what kind of new sites my friends have found. On top of these 3 sites, I use MyFitnessPal on my iPhone, which is a social network that helps me lose weight with the help and encouragement of my friends. I also listen to Pandora, which lets me know if my friends like a certain artist as it plays. I am also addicted to UrbanSpoon, which allows me to look at different restaurant recommendations from people in my town. There is also LinkedIn, that I normally check twice a week to make sure I am not missing out on a fabulous job. I also use HootSuite to coordinate most of these, so I also have to stay off this too. Last, but certainly not least, is YouTube!! I LOVE YouTube more than people know! I look up old cartoons, musicals, playlists, random songs, movies, you name it...I will probably find it on YouTube. I have a playlist for every mood and occasion, this may be hard! WOW!! I am online a lot!!

The next question is, can I still use Bing? They have added whether or not your friends like a particular thing. Is this social media too? I think that it technically is because you are being persuaded by your friends when you look something up. I will have to go back to Google.

The only disadvantage to not checking all of these in the next week is that I need to get ahead in one of the games I play on Facebook before I turn everything off....sad, but very true! Will this help my social skills? What will the outcome be? I will start this on Sunday, June the 5th and resume use on the 12th. At that time, I will blog the results.

Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it Laura!! :) I have faith in you! I also LOVE you background to this blog!

    ReplyDelete