Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Things seem to catch on....viral marketing

I know you have recently seen women all around the world updating their Facebook status to say things like "I like in the chair" or "I like it on the door." Reading statuses like these cause people to take notice and start asking questions. When people start asking questions the knowledge of what's going on spreads like wildfire. I admit I was one of those people that were like "what are they doing?" Since then, I have jumped on the bandwagon. If you were curious, the question that these women were answering with their statuses is "Where do you like your purse" and it was supposed to generate awareness of breast cancer awareness month. This is cool and all, but if you are like me, you change your status twice a day or maybe more so this was a very short buzz.

My favorite viral marketing ploy of the month has been the "Count me out" social media campaign to support National Coming Out Day, which they have stretched to continue all week. What you do is go to the link above and follow the instructions on the site. I am an "Ally" because I support those coming out this week, and my friend Skylar's picture says "Out" because he is already out. We are both doing this to support equality in the community and to support the anti-bullying and anti-homophobic efforts. 




I think pictures give you the best way of being heard. People notice when your profile picture changes rather than a status, just because you don't change your picture several times a day. I have seen several pictures like the ones above and asked the same questions like I did for the breast cancer awareness. Those statuses never raised as many questions and confused messages as these pictures did, and once people found out, they started changing their pictures too. Story short, if you want to raise awareness, Facebook is the way to go!

4 comments:

  1. I was really wondering what your facebook pic was about lol. I agree with you that facebook is a great tool when it comes to getting something out to gain a little attention. But since I usually change my status everyday or so, it is also very short lived for me. It has the ability to get people questioning it but by the time they are able to ask about it, its already been changed. Facebook is good for short-term use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill have to say this explains a lot to me i was wondering a week or so ago why everyones statuses were saying stuff like "I like it on the floor". Haha i was throughly confused about it. I agree with your last comment that you believe that pictures are a better method, at least with me thats true. I have so many friends that update their statues so frequently that ive just started to tune that out, on my facebook. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I was wondering why people had written stautus of where they like things. My first thought was it had something to do with sex, but then I seen a lot of people with that stauts of where they liked it and knew that it was pertaining to something else, but just didn't know what. Well Laura thanks for the info. And that was a great idea on how to generate breast cancer awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the viral facebook campaign "I like it on the table," for breast cancer awareness was a bit of a fail, actually, simply because the campaign didn't tie to breast cancer in any noticeable way. I think last year's campaign, when women posted what color their bra was, made a TON more sense in terms of the cause. I think it's great that tons of women participated in this campaign, but ultimately, how many people really tied the campaign to breast cancer that aren't paying attention to social media and viral campaigns?

    ReplyDelete